Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Getting Settled

We have been here a little over three weeks now.  I finally feel like I am getting settled for the most part.  I say I because well the kids are doing great, We brought down just a few of their toys but they would rather chase goats and chickens and play in the trees, and Nicky well he is getting used to my cooking down here, nothing tastes the same as it does in the states even though you use the same ingredients. 
  It has been cool and dry here, by cool I mean in the low 90's, the other missionaries say this is cool.  Plus our showers are a lot colder, and I mean cold, than they are in the summer.  It is so hard to get Ellie to take a shower so we bought a kivet, a very large plastic tub so I can put warmer water in it.  It is pretty easy to sleep at night with it being cooler.
  We had a team leave on Tuesday so I am able to get back up here to the volunters quarters where I can use wifi.  Its pretty busy around here when a team comes.  Nicky had help from a couple of mechanics that came down and I cooked a lot of desserts for them.  You definetly have to get creative, I can't just run to Ingles when I need something.  I've heard from some Haitians that there have been problems since the election so we aren't going anywhere outside the compound.  We have a guy that goes to market for us and gets bananas and other vegetables.
  This Sunday Franklin Graham is supposed to be doing the service for Samaritans Purse and we with Global were asked to come too.  We thought we could be more involved with what Samaritans Purse is doing but we have a hard time just keeping up with what we need to do.  There is a lady who is visiting this week, her and her husband lived here for 10 years.  We asked her for some advice for us and she said not to get to overwhelmed and focused on what we have to do and not make relationships with the people.  I asked her how is that possible, especially for me.  By the afternoon I am so tired, she said that would come after being here for a while, I hope so.  Praise the Lord he sends people for encouragement.  Pleaese pray or more encouragement especially for me.
  The kids love being down here.  So many times they tell us they love living here, but when someone else asks them how they like it they say they don't.  I don't understand.  But they do love Monday mornings and the elderly feeding program.  We could really use some of those reusable shopping bags like at Marshal's, they are really big and made out of a tough plastice I think.
  I will try to do better at getting more blogs done, so keep praying for us to do God's work and to know his will.

2 comments:

  1. I will be praying that you will be encouraged! If we bought some of those bags how could we get them to you? Did you ever see the Sam's reusable bags? They are really big. Do you think those would work or do they need to be the standard size?
    The Rhodes Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Runk Family! I found you by chance on the internet. I am coming to Haiti 1/4 to help with the cholera epidemic at the Global Compound. My name is Tracy I am a nurse, a former homeschool mom and look forward to serving the Lord with you and getting to know you.

    you can reach me at
    familysvoboda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete