Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Busy week

When we got to the compound they put us in an apartment above the volunteer quarters.  We thought this was going to be our home for this three months.  They are very nice apartments, king size bed, small refrigerator, one bathroom.  There are two apartments upstairs, one is able to get internet from the neighbors and the other one has a small window unit air conditioner in the bedroom.
   They told us we would be moving to a house on compound that is closer to the shop, where Nicky is working.  It doesn't have an airconditioner but has lots of trees surrounding it.  But it is near the road.  Praise the Lord we have nice places to stay.  It gets kind of hard getting used to no hot water especially in the shower and having to add clorox to your dish water.  We try to take our showers at the hottest part of the day so it feels refreshing. 
    We have had the volunteer quarters all to ourselves so it has not been so hectic.  Starting next Monday there will be teams starting to come in.  I will help cook for them.  We, all of us here with Global Outreach, are getting together for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.  Someone has donated turkeys for us to have. 
   The kids have loved being able to see the Samaritans purse helicopter take off from behind the apartment. It is pretty amazing how it can land so close to the buildings with heavy winds blowing.  I have been having trouble getting used to the grease they use to cook with.  I had my gall bladder out last December.  There are certains things that I shouldn't eat.  I'm praying that I get used to what I can and can't eat.  So I could use prayers for that.   We really do appreciate everyones support and prayers.  You can email us at nrunk16@gmail.com.

  I hope this blog doesn't sound scattered but I'm homeschooling the kids at the same time I write this.  Please be praying that I am able to teach the kids in a fun, loving way and not get too aggitated with them.  Xander seems to have a hard time concentrating and keeping his mind on his own work, he always blurts out the answers before Ellie can think about her work. 
   We had the great opportunity to hand out food to the senior citizens in the community yesterday.  Every Monday morning Judy and all the kids on the compound handed out enough rice, beans, garlic, pasta,spices and oil to last them the week.  It was awesome to see the kids interacting with the Haitian people.  Ellie told me a little later that "that was cool".  They are so excited to do it next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment